Friday, February 22, 2008

Learning from my children

Do you ever find yourself learning from your children? I do - regularly. And it is a wonderful, humbling, inspiring thing to experience. My girls teach me something new almost daily. They teach me to be bold, to try new things, to laugh, (I think I may teach them a thing or two in this category. Laughing is a BIG priority for me) and to see the world in a new way. Let me tell you about Janelle. This middle daughter, just 14 years old, most reminds me of myself. She has many characteristics that resemble my side of the family; the Keller side. She's artistic, comical, spontaneous, unpredictable. She makes me laugh harder than almost anyone I know. I think she and I share some of the same weaknesses as well. :) Perhaps that's a reason I empathize with her.
I love photography. My dad loves photography. He put a camera, his camera, in my hand when I was 12 years old and I never looked back. When I got my first digital camera about a year and a half ago, Janelle took it from me for a few minutes to "experiment." The rest is history. She has never taken a class but has that "eye" for photography that cannot be taught. And she inspires me all the time. I have learned so much from her in the last year about something I've loved my entire life.

These are just a few examples.












You can see more on her flickr.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Jean, You have got BIG competition. These pictures are fantastic. It is always fun to admire your photography. Judy <><

Tedfam said...

Thanks for reminding us of the importance of laughter. Thanks for provoking me to humility! I think it must have been said somewhere that only the humble can truly laugh, and (many times it is at themselves)! Thanks for being humble and learning from your children!
May I be a humble, laughing, learner!