Sunday, June 15, 2008

A healthy heritage - hopefully

I spent Father's Day lounging on the couch watching the U.S. Open with my wonderful husband and my dad. My dad is a golfer. He loves golf and he is one of the healthiest people I know. He has survived physical trials like severe and debilitating childhood asthma, being thrown to the street from a Rumble Seat after WWII, and cancer, to name just a few. He began jogging over 60 years ago. He continues to walk/run daily. My dad lives on the 5th floor of an apartment building. Recently he lamented to me, "You know, I often take the stairs up to my apartment. Of course I take the stairs two at a time. Sometimes I get winded when I reach my floor." Just last week my dad competed in a golf tournament at Laytonsville Golf Course in 85 degree heat. He told me, "I found I could only finish 9 holes. I was astounded how tired I was after only 9 holes! This 'age' thing is really getting in my way."

My dad turns 86 years old in August. Unbelievable. I love you, Dad.

No comments: